As I said in a couple of recent posts, I’ve been thinking about what to do for this year’s NaNoWriMo project and how best to tackle it. Well, I’ve made some decisions, now I just need to implement them.
First of all, I’ve decided to use House in Exile as my project. When I started at the beginning of the year, I was really hoping that I’d be further along with it by this time. Since I’m not, and I really want to try getting a 1st draft done before the year is out, I’m hoping the addition of NaNoWriMo’s 50,000 words will get me there. Secondly, between now and the end of the month, I’m going to try something new in order to prepare for November.
At a recent Q&A event, I heard a local author describe a technique that seems to be standing him in good stead. He said that, in order to let him write smoothly without getting in his own way, he breaks the novel down into its component scenes and then does as much as possible to plot from one to the next. That way, when it comes to the actual drafting process, everything has already been thought out so he can just write without tripping himself up.
Now, whether or not this will work for me, remains to be seen. But I’m already facing an uphill battle with trying to get my daily word count up enough to make NaNoWriMo happen and, if it does work, then I’ll have gone some way to reducing that slope.